HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s new subscription streaming service, will be the exclusive streaming home for Doctor Who starting next year.
When HBO Max launches in spring 2020, Doctor Who — the BBC’s longest-running global franchise — will be one of the premiere titles on the new SVOD service. All 11 seasons will be available, and future seasons of the sci-fi megahit will be added after they air on BBC America.
Doctor Who is part of HBO Max’s new long-term deal with BBC Studios, which includes 700 episodes of iconic BBC series such as the award-winning mockumentary The Office (both seasons and specials), the long-running motoring show Top Gear (multiple seasons, including episodes with hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, plus the most recent casts including Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris, Paddy McGuinness and Freddie Flintoff), gritty crime drama Luther (all five seasons), and the thriller miniseries The Honorable Woman.
But wait, there’s more!
In addition to these shows, the deal also includes new British TV titles Pure (comedy-drama), Trigonometry (romance-comedy), Stath Lets Flats (comedy), Home (comedy-drama), and Ghosts (fantasy-comedy) — all of which will be available exclusively on HBO Max upon launch of the service.
All of the above titles join HBO Max’s already-robust library, which is expected to have 10,000 hours of programming at launch, including licensed third-party programming and an array of content that brings the HBO service together with WarnerMedia’s portfolio of brands: Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Hello Sunshine, Looney Tunes, and more.
The service will also feature the entire HBO library of hits including fan favorites The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Veep, and Game of Thrones, as well as previously-announced acquisitions The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Pretty Little Liars, and all 236 episodes of Friends.
HBO Max will also be the exclusive out-of-season streaming home to a string of new Warner Bros. produced dramas for The CW, including the new DC series Batwoman and Katy Keene (spinoff of Riverdale). The streamer will also be home to the critically acclaimed DC series Doom Patrol, with the first-season available at launch and new episodes set to debut simultaneously on DC Universe and HBO Max.
HBO Max is also developing a strong originals slate with film and television projects geared toward all audience segments in the home, including Gossip Girl, Dune: The Sisterhood, Tokyo Vice, The Flight Attendant, Love Life, Station Eleven, Made for Love, and Gremlins.
A few highlights of HBO original programming previously announced for 2020 and 2021 that will be part of HBO Max include:
- The Nevers — Joss Whedon’s new science fiction series starring Laura Donnelly (Outlander) alongside newly-announced cast members Ben Chaplin (Apple Tree Yard), Nick Frost (Mr Sloane), Amy Manson (The White Princess), Zackary Momoh (No Offence), Rochelle Neil (Episodes), James Norton (Grantchester), Denis O’Hare (American Horror Story), Tom Riley (Dark Heart), Ann Skelly (Red Rock), Eleanor Tomlinson (Poldark), Pip Torrens (Preacher), and Olivia Williams (The Halcyon).
- The Gilded Age — period drama set in the opulent world of 1885 New York from Downton Abbey’s Julian Fellowes.
- Avenue 5 — high satire aboard a space-bound cruise ship from Armando Iannucci (Veep, The Thick of It) and starring Hugh Laurie (House) and Josh Gad (Frozen).
- The Undoing — psychological thriller from David E. Kelley (Boston Legal), directed by Susanne Bier (The Night Manager), and starring Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies) and Hugh Grant (A Very English Scandal).
- Perry Mason — the classic legal drama for a new generation, executive produced by Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man) and Susan Downey (Sherlock Holmes), with Matthew Rhys (The Americans) in the title role.
Others of HBO’s upcoming shows that will stream on HBO Max include Stephen King’s The Outsider, Lovecraft Country, The Plot Against America, and I Know This Much Is True.
Stay tuned for updates.
Share this post/page.