Scotland is one of my favorite places to visit, and Wales is a country I need to explore more of, but we can all get glimpses of both from theses Scottish and Welsh TV shows streaming stateside right now.
Compared to what seems like a kazillion series set across England, these lists are short by comparison, indeed. If it’s any consolation, the number of shows from Scotland were fewer by seven until Netflix added some of that country’s most popular comedies.
- The Book Group (comedy) — Hulu, Tubi TV
- Burnistoun (sketch comedy) — Netflix
- Case Histories (crime drama/mystery) — Amazon Video
- Chewin’ the Fat (sketch comedy) — Netflix
- Empty (comedy) — Netflix
- The Field of Blood (crime drama/mystery) — Acorn TV, Amazon Video
- Gary: Tank Commander (comedy) — Netflix
- Limmy’s Show (sketch comedy) — Netflix
- Lip Service (drama) — Amazon Video, Hulu
- Monarch of the Glen (dramedy) — Netflix
- Outlander (period drama) — Amazon Video, iTunes, Vudu
- Rab C Nesbitt (comedy) — Netflix
- Rebus (crime drama/mystery) — Acorn TV, Hulu
- Shetland (crime drama/mystery) — Amazon Video, iTunes, Vudu
- Still Game (comedy) — Netflix
- Taggart (crime drama/mystery) — Acorn TV, Amazon Video, Hulu
As an aside, if you have a Netflix DVD subscription, I highly recommend that you rent Hamish Macbeth and Doctor Finlay. Both are terrific! The former, a mystery-dramedy that stars Robert Carlyle (Once Upon a Time), is loosely based on the “Hamish Macbeth Mystery” novels by M.C. Beaton (“Agatha Raisin Mysteries”). The latter, a period drama that premiered in the US in the early ’90s on Masterpiece Theatre, is the popular follow-up series to Doctor Finlay’s Casebook, the long-running (black-and-white) TV and radio series based on the A.J. Cronin novella A Country Doctor.
- Hinterland (crime drama/mystery) — Acorn TV, iTunes, Netflix
- The Indian Doctor (period dramedy) — Amazon Video, Hulu, iTunes
- Stella (dramedy) — Hulu
- Torchwood (sci-fi drama) — Amazon Video, iTunes, Netflix, Vudu
Share this post/page.